Start-Up Digital is a fun skills-based online drama course from the National Youth Theatre of Great Britain. As well as being great fun, a good confidence booster and a chance to learn new skills, Start-Up courses provide an introduction to the National Youth Theatre for those wishing to audition once they turn 14.
Start-Up Digital will run on Saturdays for six consecutive weeks. Each session is 90 minutes in length and participants will cover a range of topics and sessions that have been designed for a digital forum. Led by experienced NYT Associate Artists, Start-Up Digital encourages young people to stay creative and connected.
Course Details: BLOCK TWO OPEN FOR BOOKING!
Location: Online (Zoom account required. Further information will follow for those registered on the course)
Dates: 6th June, 13th June, 20th June, 27th June, 4th July, 11th July
Fee: £60 for the six week term
Times: 10:00am-11:30am - for 11&12 year olds - SOLD OUT
12:00 noon - 1:30pm - for 13&14 year olds - SOLD OUT
2:00pm - 3:30pm - for 11&12 year olds
4:00pm - 5:30pm - for 13&14 year olds
Across the six weeks they will explore the following:
1. Devising - Making devised scenes from our own environments and experiences, and getting to know both familiar and new faces of our virtual ensemble company.
2. Scene study - Using a piece of new writing, we’ll look for the clues in texts that are useful for actors when building / developing character, and how we can specifically use these clues to build and rehearse a successful monologue performance.
3. Actioning - The crux of many actors’ processes! How can we learn to “play the action”? Understanding how we can access emotion and truth without emotionally exhausting ourselves.
4. Voice - As a group, we will explore vocal work to stretch our voices, explore how voice can help us develop characters and get performance-ready. You will gain a tool kit that you can take on to future projects and performances.
5. Writing Monologues - This week we will use our own experiences as the inspiration for writing a short monologue. Learn writing tools and generate ideas for creating your own work.
6. Share back - Rehearse, stage and share back your work for the group. Celebrate all your hard work and have a good ol’ show off!
Spaces are limited* to 16 young people in each session so we strongly recommend you book quickly to avoid disappointment. Places are allocated in preferred sessions on a first come first served basis.
*Start Up Digital will run subject to minimum numbers being met. NYT reserves the right to allocate you to the alternate session for your age groups to ensure minimum numbers are met.
Block one is running on the following dates. Applications for Block one are closed.
Dates: 25 April, 2 May, 9 May, 16 May, 23 May, 30 May.
Dates: 16 May, 23 May, 30 May, 6 June, 13 June, 20 June