The National Youth Theatre of Great Britain are offering one emerging director the opportunity to become part of the 2018 NYT REP Company. The successful applicant will support the work of the NYT REP Company, assistant direct the REP Company's productions, direct a scratch performance and receive mentoring from an industry professional.
Applicants to this Bursary MUST be, or have been, an NYT member, having completed an NYT Intake Course.
We're very grateful to everyone who has donated to The Bryan Forbes Bursary Fund for making this opportunity possible.
"The Bryan Forbes Bursary was not only an incredible step into a new professional network, but an opportunity to train and work alongside some of the brightest people in the industry" - 2016 recipient Sean Hollands
The purpose of this Bursary opportunity is to learn the skills of a Director through practical experience and learning. The Assistant Director will support the work of The NYT REP Company. In order to do this they are expected to attend all relevant meetings and to assist on several productions over the course of the 7 month period. The Assistant Director will also train alongside the actors in the REP Company developing knowledge and understanding of the performer.
Title of role
The Bryan Forbes NYT REP Assistant Director
The 2018 NYT REP Company is due to run from end of May - December 2018. Although there is a possibility the course will begin in June. This is not an employment contract. The length of the role is 7 months full time, including evenings and weekends when appropriate and as required.
The successful applicant with receive a £10,000 bursary to support their training and development
Expectations of the Assistant Director:
- To work with the National Youth Theatre team and to take on any duties in support of the work of The National Youth Theatre as required by them.
- To attend weekly meetings with NYT’s Associate Director to support the training programme and assess progress.
- To attend production meetings for the REP shows.
- To train alongside the fellow REP company members
- Where appropriate, to support the work of the following areas: casting, literary and international.
- To see all National Youth Theatre productions at preview stage, offering constructive feedback via the Associate Director
- To adhere to and promote the company’s policies in relation to equal opportunities, health and safety, diversity, environment.
- To be Assistant Director on a number of National Youth Theatre REP productions, and, in doing so to satisfy the demands of the Director of the production, which may include:
- Providing research material for rehearsals as instructed by the Director.
- Arrange visiting experts for the rehearsals.
- Supporting the Director in rehearsals – this may involve contributing to rehearsal discussions, taking note of rehearsal progress, supervising second rehearsals (e.g. dance calls), assisting with scheduling rehearsal calls, and on rare occasions leading rehearsals in Director’s absence.
- Supporting the REP actors in rehearsals, such as assisting with line learning.
- Supporting the Stage Management and technical team in rehearsals and during technical rehearsals, such as standing in for actors during lighting sessions.
- Supporting the Director during technical rehearsals and previews; checking sightlines, taking performance notes, rehearsing scene changes.
- To monitor the productions during their run. This involves watching each performance, taking note of any corrections that need to be made, feeding back a report to the Director, and where instructed by the Director, offering feedback to the performers.
- Proven experience as a theatre director/assistant director – at least one professional, reviewed show, and previous assisting experience highly preferable
- Must be, or have been, an NYT member, having completed an NYT Intake Course
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to give strong notes and to be observant and constructive when watching rehearsals and performances
- An ability to multi-task and respond reliably to tasks as required by the artistic team
- Be positive and approachable when dealing with a wide range of artists at all levels
- Highly organised and self-motivated, and meticulous about detail
- Computer literate
If you have any questions about this role please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Hear Sean's story - the recipient of the 2016 Bryan Forbes Assistant Director Bursary