The National Youth Theatre of Great Britain are offering one early career director the opportunity to train alongside the 2020/2021 NYT REP Company. The successful applicant will support the work of the NYT REP Company, assistant direct the REP Company's productions, direct a piece of their own and receive mentoring from RSC director and Donmar Warehouse Associate Artist Prasanna Puwanarajah.
The Bryan Forbes Bursary for The NYT REP Assistant Director
The purpose of this Bursary opportunity is to learn the skills of a Director through practical experience and learning. The Assistant Director will be expected to attend all relevant meetings and to assist on several productions over the course of the 8 month period. The Assistant Director will also train alongside the actors in the REP Company developing knowledge and understanding of the performer.
The 2020 NYT REP Company is due to run from 28 Sep 2020 - 31 May 2021. This is not an employment contract. The length of the role is 8 months full time, including evenings and weekends when appropriate and as required.
The successful applicant with receive a £10,000 bursary to support their training and development.
Receiving the Bryan Forbes Bursary and training with the Rep gave me the chance to develop and start to explore my own style. It was also been a spring board and provided me with the exposure I needed to take the next steps in my career. I feel that this is now a organisation that will continue to help me develop in my career.
Mumba Dodwell, NYT REP Assistant Director 2019
(Great Expectations at Southwark Playhouse)
- You must be aged between 18-30 years old to apply for this role*
- Proven experience as a theatre director/assistant director – at least one professional, reviewed show, and previous assisting experience highly preferable
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to give strong notes and to be observant and constructive when watching rehearsals and performances
- An ability to multi-task and respond reliably to tasks as required by the artistic team
- Be positive and approachable when dealing with a wide range of artists at all levels
- Highly organised and self-motivated, and meticulous about detail
- Computer literate
Applications are now closed
We actively encourage anyone from a background currently under-represented in our industry to apply, including disabled people and people from Black, Asian and ethnically diverse backgrounds.
*Please note this specified age range is due to our charitable remit to provide training opportunities as a youth arts organisation
If you require any of this information in an alternative format or have any access requirements email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 02075618661
If you'd like to speak to someone to find out more about the role you can email the 2019 Bryan Forbes Director Mumba Dodwell on email@example.com
Photo by Helen Murray
We're very grateful to everyone who has donated to The Bryan Forbes Bursary Fund for making this opportunity possible, especially the Forbes family and in particular Emma and Graham Clempson.