Auditions for 2016 Company Membership are now closed however there is still plenty to get involved with at the National Youth Theatre until our next round of auditions. Prepare for your next audition and join the NYT Club Membership or brush up your skills and take part in upcoming Masterclasses
Join the Club
Find your nearest Masterclass here
Be the first the hear about our 2017 auditions!
Each year we reach out nationally to audition 5,000 young people across 30 towns and cities around the UK; from England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.
We hold auditions for a variety of projects including Membership Auditions (open to anyone aged 14* – 25**) and Casting Auditions for productions throughout the year (exclusively for members only).
We recruit 500 new NYT members every year, who are invited to take part in a Membership Acting or Technical Course to equip them for their future involvement with NYT. Membership Auditions for 2016 are now coming to an end but there are still a few spaces left to audition! Head here to book ASAP. We will be auditioning again for membership intake in January 2017.
Casting Auditions for current Members have now taken place. Good luck to everyone who auditioned!
We will be in touch about 2017 Casting Auditions in October 2016.
*You can apply to join the National Youth Theatre at the age of 13 providing you will be 14 at the start of the intake course. You will notice our booking system will not allow you to book an audition if you are 13. Please apply as though you are a year older to bypass the system and then contact us via email stating your actual date of birth.
** You can apply to be a National Youth Theatre Member any time before your 26th Birthday. You can continue to be an active member in your 26th year. You can take part in a production at the age of 26, however you cannot apply to be in a production if you turn 27 within the performance dates.
Kindly note if you are successful in your application, identification will need to be provided before the course start date.
If you are unsure about your eligibility to join the NYT please call us on 020 3696 7066
Watch NYT's Quick Guide to Auditions
Auditioning to become an NYT Member?
To become a member you must book an audition for an Acting or Technical Membership Course.
More information on these courses can be found here. including dates and course fees
If successful at audition, you will be invited to attend an intake course which provides extensive training on theatre practice and equips members for NYT Membership.
Once you have completed your membership course you will be a member until your 26th Birthday. You can then audition to be cast in productions and projects regionally and in the West End as well as take advantage of many other membership opportunities such as free tickets, film and TV castings, drama facilitation training, workshops and Q&A's.
What to Expect at your Membership Acting Audition
Even the most seasoned performer can get the jitters, but don’t let that hold you back! Our goal is to help the next generation of performers and enthusiasts reach a level of professionalism that the right guidance can foster.
- Your Acting Membership audition will involve a workshop in the morning from 10am – 1pm. You’ll also receive an individual time slot in the afternoon, at which you’ll return and perform your prepared monologue to the audition panel.
- Remember that auditions are busy - very busy. You will be sharing the space not only with other hopefuls but also NYT staff and associated coordinators. Our advice for handling this is to prepare yourself for the audition and enjoy the excitement when you get to the venue.
- You will be asked about yourself, or what you can do. The best response you can give is an honest one. If you are just starting out and have little experience but big dreams then say so!
- There is a mix of all types of people, and we do not accept bulling or harassment of any kind. The National Youth Theatre encourages everyone with a passion for the Arts to develop their skills, and if you are in need of any special accessibility requirements please make this known on your application.
What to Prepare
- Pick an appropriate speech (not something you’ve written yourself/a famous film speech)
- Try to avoid accents.
- Pick something you like and enjoy performing.
- Singing is optional but if you choose a song make it something you love.
- Get plenty of sleep the night before your audition
- Find out where you are going ahead of time, and be punctual.
- Wear comfortable clothing, costumes are a no-no.
- Try not to wear too much makeup.
- Practise your speech ahead of time.
- Bring a bottle of water, and make sure you’ve eaten and had plenty of fluids.
- Don’t use or bring props.
- Be open to suggestion and direction.
- Respect other people’s opinions, don’t idea bash.
- Unless asked, don’t share unnecessary personal details.
- Be yourself and enjoy the day!
If you have any questions about your audition at all or have trouble booking, get in touch: email@example.com
You can also watch some great #NYTAuditionTips online shared by 2016 Applicants - head here!
Fees and Funding
If you gain a space on a Membership Course, you will receive a Fundraising Pack with tips and ideas on how you can raise the costs of course fees yourself. Many members have had huge success with this in the past and have enjoyed their fundraising challenge.
It is hugely important to us that applicants are not deterred from getting involved with NYT due to financial restrictions. We have large bursary fund to help those in need cover the cost of auditions and membership course fees. Last year we gave over £100,000 in Bursaries to help applicants and members with financial costs, and we aim to help as many people as we can. To request an application pack, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Casting Auditions: Exclusively for Members Only.
Every year we carry out casting auditions for NYT Members in order to cast the perfect candidates for our NYT Productions in 2016 and the NYT REP Company!
Casting auditions for current Members have now taken place. Good luck to everyone who auditioned! We will be in touch about 2017 Casting Auditions in October 2016.
Successful applicants will receive further information from NYT staff informing them of the next steps. As with any audition there is always competition, so don’t fret if you weren’t selected for a production this time - there are still plenty of ways to get involved.
There are endless other opportunities for members throughout the year as part of the Membership Scheme (free tickets, film/TV castings, discounted headshots, technical placements etc) which will be displayed in ‘Member News’. Members: head here and login to your account to sign up!
If you’re a current member, email Membership.Secretary@nyt.org.uk for more information on the Casting Process or your Membership and how to get involved.